Living with a Free-roam House Rabbit for 3-years

Hello, everyone! 

My name is Naho and I live in New Mexico with my husband and a free-roam bunny named Cinnamon Bun.


Prologue

 It's been a little while since I posted on my blog. The reason why is because I didn't get any views except from my family and friends and I was discouraged by the fact that nobody read my blog (unfortunately, the same thing happened to my YouTube channel and Instagram). I know that a lot of people who start a blog or YouTube experience this kind of thing. If nobody reads your blog or watches your videos, what's the point? 

 Anyway, I've been laid off from work because of COVID-19 and I have extra time on my hands. A few days ago, when I saw the update notices on my Pinterest app that said, "Your Pin was saved by (the name of whomever pinned my post)", I realized that some people actually pinned my blog posts. So I went to my blogger website and checked the statistics and saw that my blog post "How My Rabbit Became Free-roam" has 1,823 views! I know it's not that impressive compared to other blogs out there, but that number was high enough for me to consider making a new blog post.

 

Free-roam Cinnamon Bun 

 

Is She Still a Free-roam Bun?

 My rabbit Cinnamon Bun (aka Bunbun) turned 3-years old in July. Since she wasn't completely free-roam until about 2 years ago, she's been a free-roam bun for about 2 years now. She's still the same way in terms of the free-roam condition; she is allowed anywhere in the house during the day (except the toilet room) and gets blocked off in the living room at night for the sake of the health of the human residents. If she's not confined in the living room while my husband and I are sleeping, she jumps up on the bed and runs around waking us up at 2 in the morning, (unintentionally?) scratching our faces with those sharp bunny nails in the process... When I let her out in the morning, she gets excited and zooms around in the bedroom and occasionally binkies, so I think it's good that she stays in the living room at night because the excitement in the morning gives her extra exercise. She might also be happy when I wake up because she knows that she's going to get her breakfast!

Cinnamon Bun

Progress

 On my blog post "How My Rabbit Became Free-roam", I wrote that she liked to mark on the bed (especially our head area). My solution was to cover the problem area by putting down a few pet pee pads that I got at a dollar store and putting some towels over them in the morning, and remove them when I go to bed. This tactic dramatically reduced the frequency of marking behavior; it became about twice a year, then now ZERO! I don't even cover the head area anymore and she hasn't marked for a long long time. I don't remember exactly but I think it's been about a year since she did. I'd like to point out in case people who try this method experience frustration that this method takes a while to show results. Also, my rabbit is spayed and I imagine that it would be a lot harder with unfixed rabbits.

rabbit on a bed
Cinnamon Bun playing on the bed

 

Is Free-roam Better for House Rabbits?

 

I wouldn't say that free-roaming is 100% better because I've seen rabbits that are not free-roam but live happily. One example is 101Rabbits on YouTube. Haley has amazing bunny rooms and her rabbits look happy, healthy and very well cared for. If you're considering getting a house rabbit or you're a new house bunny owner, I highly recommend her channel. She has a lot of helpful videos about rabbit care.
Another YouTube channel great for house rabbit owners is Lennon The Bunny; it's a very popular channel so you might already know of it if you love rabbits. Lennon is a free-roam rabbit, and Lorelei makes very helpful bunny care videos. I was actually inspired by that channel and decided to make Cinnamon Bun free-roam!
Anyway, I love free-roaming because I feel it has helped improve my relationship with Cinnamon Bun. We're not really like bonded buns, but I feel closer to her since she became free-roam and I think that having a free-roam rabbit is like having a cat. Rabbits and cats are kind of similar; they're both clean and constantly grooming themselves and they're quiet. If somebody asks me if I recommend free-roaming their rabbits, I would say YES! 


I would really appreciate it if you leave a comment and let me know your thoughts. 😃💖
 
Cinnamon Bun's YouTube Channel.


Comments

Post a Comment