3 Surprising Facts About Rabbits (Free-Roam House Rabbit)

Before I started researching about rabbits and ended up getting one, I really didn't know much about them. As I learned about these fascinating furry little friends, I was shocked by the surprising facts about them that I never knew!
I had never thought that I would have a house rabbit, but now that I do I can't imagine my life without Cinnamon Bun.



 

 

Rabbits Are Very Expressive Even Though They're Quiet

 

 

Wide variety of body languages 

 

Rabbits don't bark or whine like dogs do but if you observe them carefully, you can tell what they're feeling or trying to tell you. Once you learn rabbit language, you would be amazed by how expressive they are! This article: Interpreting Body Language and Behavior from the House Rabbit Society explains about basic body languages in rabbits. My favorite bunny body languages are binky, flop, and standing on hind legs (like Peter Rabbit). It makes me happy to know that Cinnamon Bun's having fun and content, and hind leg standing pose is just too cute!


They make vocal sounds too 

 

Rabbits are generally quiet but they do make vocal sounds. They're not loud sounds so you may not notice in noisy surroundings. Cinnamon Bun makes a buzzing sound similar to the buzzing sound of bees when she gets excited, and a pig like sound when she gets angry (which is usually accompanied with charging and biting...).

 

 

Different Personalities

 

Just like humans rabbits have different personalities. Cinnamon Bun is very bossy even though she's very skittish. She nudges me violently with her nose when I'm in her way, when she wants attention, and when I'm taking too long preparing her veggies. She demands head petting by forcefully putting her head under my hands, and when her petting order is ignored she gets mad and sometimes bite me. I wish she was more docile and chill because she never lets me pick her up or put a leash on her, but nobody can change who she is and I love her anyway. It's important to understand and respect their personalities in order to develop a good relationship with bunnies.




 

 

Interesting Furry Bodies

 

 

Their feet and tails

 

I'd thought rabbits have paw pads like cats and dogs, but they actually don't. Rabbit paws are furry and soft just like all other parts of their bodies. For this reason, it's not good to house rabbits in wire floor or hard floor cages (I don't think rabbits should be housed in cages at all) because their feet can get sore.
I don't know if it's just my husband and I but we'd thought that rabbit tails are little balls of fur like cotton balls. Rabbit tails are actually kind of long and they don't look like cotton balls, although they're as soft as cotton balls. I think their feet and the tails are the softest parts of their bodies.


Feet and tail of a rabbit
Cinnamon Bun's feet and tail




Intriguing Digestive System

 

Rabbits eat impressive amounts of hay and produce incredible amounts of poops! Since their digestive system needs to be moving constantly and requires a lot of fiber, it's important that rabbits have an access to unlimited amount of hay all the time. Cinnamon Bun goes through 10LB bag of Timothy hay in a little over a month. Although a lot of it is used to put on top her litter to keep her feet clean and to reduce urine odor, it seems like she's always eating when she's not sleeping or lounging.





When I first saw Cinnamon Bun eating her poos directly from her anus, I was shocked! But now it's a normal daily occurrence. Rabbits have this amazing ability to produce special poops called cecotropes (it's like "natural vitamin supplements") in their own bodies! How amazing is that? Although, I'm a little hesitant to be licked by Cinnamon Bun right after she eats her daily supplement...


 

Rabbits Can Make Great House Pets

 


A lot of people don't know that rabbits can make great house pets because rabbits are traditionally raised outside, often for meat or as pets for children. Exception to rabbit cafes in Japan, all the rabbits I'd seen in my life lived in rabbit coops or sheds outside. I was surprised when I found out that there are people who live with their rabbits in their houses.

They are very clean (probably cleaner than humans)

 

One reason that rabbits make great house pets is because rabbits keep themselves very clean. They grooms themselves meticulously so you don't even need to wash them. You actually shouldn't wash them because they usually hate getting wet and they can have a heart attack if you shower them or submerge them in water. The video below shows Cinnamon Bun grooming herself in the morning.




 

They Can Be Litter Trained

 

Just like cats, rabbits can be litter trained. It was relatively easy to litter train Cinnamon Bun. However, rabbits are very territorial and they mark things with their urine and poops. This problem can often be fixed by spaying or neutering them. Cinnamon used to drive me crazy with her marking behavior but it got much better after she'd been spayed and now she almost never pees outside of her litter box. I talk more about marking problem in my other post: Why You Should Reconsider Getting a Baby Rabbit

Rabbit in a litter box
Cinnamon Bun in her litter box

 

 

They don't smell 

 

Unlike cats or dogs, having a rabbit in your house doesn't make your entire house smell like pets. Rabbits don't have body odor probably because they're herbivores (I think eating animal products produces body odor). I smelled Cinnamon Bun everywhere, including inside of her ears, but the only smell that I could detect was the smell of hay. It's crazy! I take shower everyday but my head smells...

Although rabbit urine has a strong musky scent, if their litter boxes are cleaned frequently and litter materials that controls the urine odor are used, it shouldn't be a bother. I personally like equine compressed pine pellets because they're cheap, absorbent, and control odor very well.  Also, rabbit poops don't smell (I checked Cinnamon's...) probably because they're made up mostly of hay. Even their poops are cute!





If you wonder why I have a rabbit, please read my post:  Why I Chose Rabbit as House Pet Instead of Dog or Cat 






 

 

 

 





Comments